June 10, 2011

Wyden, Merkley, DeFazio Applaud FEMA Grant for Brookings

WASHINGTON, DC— Congressman Peter DeFazio and Senators Ron Wyden and Jeff Merkley announced the Port of Brookings Harbor will receive $1.2 million from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to replace docks destroyed by the March 11th tsunami.

“Brookings-Harbor Port Director Ted Fitzgerald and his team have done an incredible job of getting the Port cleaned up after the disaster in March,” said Wyden, who visited the Port in April and toured the damage facilities. “The channel is open and some of the docks have been repaired, but there is still work to be done. This money from FEMA will help complete the job and get the Port ready for the summer commercial and recreational fishing and boating season.”

“The tsunami devastated the Port of Brookings but the community rallied back almost immediately.  This funding is just part of what will be needed to repair the damage.  But thanks to the hard work of community leaders, Brookings is getting the attention and resources it needs,” said Merkley.

“I toured the Port days after the tsunami. The staff at the port had done an incredible job cleaning up the damage the tsunami caused, but it was clear they were going to need significant assistance if the port was to get back on its feet. This grant goes a long way toward that end. I am pleased that FEMA has designated the money needed to help the hard working community-members as they rebuild the docks destroyed and rehabilitate the docks that survived,” said DeFazio

As was reported in the Register-Guard on May 12th, federal grants cover 75% of costs associated with damage in disaster areas. The remaining 25% is covered by the applicant, which in this case is the state of Oregon. In addition to the $1.2 million form FEMA, the state will have to match a $400,000 allocation to the Port of Brookings Harbor for repairs.

Immediately following the tsunami, every member of the Oregon congressional delegation worked together to urge President Barack Obama to swiftly approve a disaster declaration for the Southern Oregon coast. President Obama made the declaration in near record time a week later.